Date: Friday, 29 October 2010
Event: UN-ASEAN Summit
Venue: National Convention Center, Hanoi
Speaker: United Nations Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon
[As prepared for delivery]
Distinguished Heads of State and Government,
Your Excellency Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung,
ASEAN Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan,
Ladies and gentlemen,
This has been a fruitful day. We have laid the foundations for more concrete cooperation between the United Nations and ASEAN.
We have adopted a wide-ranging outcome document that includes a Framework for Joint Action in the next two years. This framework includes plans for the United Nations and ASEAN Member States to work together on the MDGs, human rights, peace and security and humanitarian affairs.
I also welcome the agreement on regular dialogue between our Secretariats.
ASEAN has made great progress in the past decade. Your regional integration process has gained pace and I wish you success in implementing the second Initiative for ASEAN Integration Work Plan.
I commend your balanced, sustainable and inclusive approach to building a framework for regional cooperation, through which more developed members can help the member countries that most need it. And I encourage you to continue your work to build an ASEAN Economic Community by 2015. Integration will enable all parts of the region to enjoy the fruits of cooperation and development.
I look forward to further strengthening cooperation between ASEAN and the United Nations across the board – from development to human rights … from maternal health to our joint concerns about the transition process in Myanmar.
In particular, I look forward to an enhanced contribution from ASEAN countries towards our joint goals on peace and security, including the peace-building process and the provision of peacekeeping forces.
Thank you all for your participation and engagement in this important meeting.
Let us build on the momentum we have generated. Let us carry forward our mission of creating a better world, where everyone can live in peace, prosperity and freedom.
- Speech by UN Resident Coordinator John Hendra at Viet Nam's Third National Environmental Conference
- Remarks by UN Resident Coordinator John Hendra at the launch of the global Human Development Report 2010
- Remarks to the media by the UN Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon
- Remarks of the UN Secretary-General at the visit to Tu Liem District HIV Prevention Treatment and Care Centre
- Remarks of the UN Secretary-General at the public launch of "Striving Together: ASEAN and the UN"
- Remarks of the UN Secretary-General to the opening session at the UN-ASEAN Summit