Ha Noi, 17 October 2011 - International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, celebrated today, focuses this year on the theme "From Poverty to Sustainability: People at the Centre of Inclusive Development". Viet Nam is also commemorating the National Day for the Poor on this day.
The Day is an occasion to recognize that poor people are at the forefront of the fight against poverty and are critical partners for achieving sustainable development. In a statement today the UN Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon called for action to build a world free of poverty: “Together, let us listen to people – and stand up for their hopes and aspirations.” (link to SG statement)
- UN independent expert urges Viet Nam to close down compulsory rehabilitation centres for drug users and sex workers
- Global report shows Viet Nam is leading in the provision of sterile needles and syringes to people who inject drugs
- Adequate midwifery could save 3.6 million lives, new report shows
- Government of Viet Nam and UNICEF Agree on Way Forward for Planning and Monitoring Reform of the SEDP
- Additional investments in youth needed as world population tops 7 billion, states UNFPA report
- UN Country Team meets with Prime Minister Dzung to commemorate UN Day